Monday, January 31, 2011

Rachel K. Orientation



This evening I went to the Seattle University Master in Teaching Program Orientation. It was my first opportunity to meet the 49 other lucky ducks that I will be going to school with. These are the people I will be drinking wine with. The people I will be borrowing pencils from. The people whom I will be sabotaging for future job openings.

There were a lot of left-handed folks, which made me feel instantly at home. I met a nice girl named Crystal, who had the blingiest engagement ring I ever did see. She told me that she had actually deferred from the fall program so that she could get married. I replied in turn that I would rather go through grad school twice than plan a wedding.

I also met a fellow southpaw named Jim-Jiminy, who wants to teach the same grades (3-6) as I do! Huzzah! Surely Jim and I will be capital chums in no time.

Before the orientation began, we played a "get to know you" game in which we had to find people who met credentials on a piece of paper.

I say, have you climbed a mountain? No? How about.... have you ever been to Egypt? Yes? Prodigious! Do tell me your name, as you have done me this kindness.
 It was a great opportunity to meet some of the 50 colleagues, and I even met a few girls who share a neighborhood with me. One of them has a car.... 

As our orientation began, we heard from two notable people. The first, Madam M., spoke to us about the program itself, answering each question with an indelible smile. The program will be challenging, but the professors I've met seem quite capable and all of the advanced readings were given out to us, so at least there is the opportunity for preparation.
After a short recess of cookies and lemonade, we returned to our seats and heard about the "field" from Captain G, as I will refer to him. His aim was to explain to us how he places us and what he tries to take into consideration, such as geography. He is undoubtedly a veteran, and I think myself lucky to have him on my side.

SU is known for having the highest success rate in teacher placements in the state, at least in 2007. Hopefully with my dashing good looks and first rate resume, I too will reap the  benefits of a meager salary and classroom full of spitballers. It is the dream.

For the rest of February I will be working on my independent studies, which include economics and life science for elementary school teachers. I hope to spend a great deal of time in the SU library, which I haven't visited yet. However, an impending sore throat may cause an untimely delay in this. I will continue to drink tea and stay vigilant.

NB: All names have been changed as I was warned about the consequences of having social media available to the public. Names have been changed to protect the innocent. And for funsies.

No comments:

Post a Comment